Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Swapping Time Machine files from one HD to the next

I am looking to swap out a new hard drive for my Time Machine and found a 1.5 TB drive for a decent price. I did some research and it seems I can easily swap the Time Machine data using Apple OS X's Disk Utility. Follow the link embedded in the post's title but scroll to the bottom of the page. The commenter's instructions are the way to go. Super simple. I am currently at about 3 hours for 280 Gigs of data.

I saw on multiple other posts that you must follow this method rather than copying and pasting the data. Some of the files will not copy right no matter what you try.


Also, I found out that you can sync up multiple Macs to one Time Machine drive. Look down to the section "Back up the Whole Family". In other words, both Macs will look at the external or network drive and throw backups at it until the drive is full. First one to get get more data wins!! You just point each Time Machine at the drive and the Time Machine install will conveniently manage the two sets of backups. The interesting part will be what happens if I need to actually use the backup to restore my system.

No comments: