Sunday, December 7, 2008

RECIPE: Oatmeal Wheat Bread

This was bread number two that I baked for Thanksgiving. The focaccia looks so bad and tasted so bland on the corners that I felt propelled to make a second. This pic is not my loaf, but the loaf was so flavorful it looked like this one might have tasted.

I actually think the yeast I used was dead because it failed to foam at all. If it did rise during the proofing and fermenting, it was very little. The bread ended up dense but still had an outstanding flavor and crumb. We ate the majority of the two loaves just through snacking on it. I forgot to tell you it wasn't even done for Thanksgiving lunch..I was a few hours late. Two years in a row that everyone shows up and I am still in my PJ's cooking. I need to cook ahead of time.

I strongly recommend you trying this bread and believe the recipe when it says if the yeast is not foaming in the water, throw it out and start again. ..oh before I forget when I was mixing all of the ingredients I used a mixer instead of mixing on the counter top. Even when I moved the dough to the counter top to knead, it was very moist. I added a bit more flour to tighten it up a bit. I also kneaded it for about 15 mins to get it nice and pliable. I know that is longer than normal but I knew the yeast might be worthless and didn't have extra.

No comments: