Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mac Tip: Quick Screen Shot and Edit

As a new Mac user I am still struggling to do simple tasks that I took for granted in XP. Here is one that I just figured out trying to add the graphic in my previous post. When you need a quick screen shot and edit, do the following.

1) Open Preview
2) In Preview, go to File, Grab, Window/Selection/Timed Screen. I was interested in a grab of Firefox so I chose Window.
3) A camera appears and the screen goes transparent gray. Click your mouse. The image will then pop up in preview.
4) Go to Tools, Crop, and drag a box over the selection you want. Click Enter and the selection will resize.
5) Go to File, Save As and pic whatever format you prefer.

Simple as can be. A few quick ways to create screenshots are for the entire window: Command - Shift - 3 for the entire window, Command - Control - Shift - 4 for a specific selection. The action creates a file on your desktop. I actually forgot where the file when until a minute ago and realized my original attempt at Command - Shift - 3 was successful. Thankfully Preview is just as easy.

No comments: