Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Google Chrome; UPDATED

I happened to see in the USA Today that Google offered up their beta of the new web browser. I hit the website today and downloaded the app. Fortunately my admin locked laptop let me install it with no worries. The videos on the download page are not terribly helpful but the comic is quite insightful and perfectly Google. I am a fan of many google apps and so far recommend this one as well. It is easy, straightforward, and the autocomplete for search, favorites, recent searches, etc is a very nice feature.

One cool feature is that you can grab the tab and move it around or pull it out and make it a new window. I also like how it makes the address bar yellow/gold when you are on a https page. I travel often and need assurance that I am within a SSH connection. I look forward to when they port this over to the Mac....not sure when that will happen as some of Google's betas stay beta for a long time.

I am pretty sold on Firefox 3 currently, so this version will have to really stand out for me to convert. Hopefully Steve Gibson will verify how robust this app is regarding security and that will make a difference in my browser of choice as well. Curious to see about how this app works with plug-ins, since my Firefox 3 is full of helpful plugins.

UPDATE

First drawback of Chrome: Pandora.com normally runs a lot of doubleclick adds that I never realized until I used Pandora on Chrome. The noscript add on for Firefox always blocked the extraneous double click crap which currently Chrome cannot. I realize Pandora make’s their money on ads, but I don’t want to see them, especially from doubleclick. I realize noscript is necessary since I choose to opt-in to any javascript in Firefox. Maybe Chrome is inherently more stable and secure and won’t let any malicious JavaScript overtake my computer. I still have become very used to controlling my web experience and only allowing the scripting necessary to view the pages I surf to. I enjoy blocking almost all advertising using noscript. BTW – have I stated how much I love noscript lately?

Will have to use firefox for Pandora from now on.

No comments: