Thursday, September 1, 2011

ANDROID TIP: Wifi Tether and my Droid Charge

For those of you who have rooted your Charge, here is a quick tip regarding free wifi tethering.  Wifi Tether has been the defacto rooted tethering app for a while.  I downloaded v2.0.1 a while back after failing to get the newer versions to work.  2.0.8 and 3.1 beta 1 didn't cooperate well, were slow to load, and sometimes needed a force close.

I installed the newest 3.0.1 beta 6 and got success even with WPA encryption.  Here are the settings I used:

Change Device Profile - Samsung Fascinate
Change Setup Method - Softap for Samsung (Master)
Enable Wifi Encryption - Yes
Added a passphrase
Hit menu - reload binaries
Hit back
Click on tether

I don't turn on access control however I suppose I could.  I just figure this is MAC filtering which is spoofable for those who really want to.  The app will notify you when someone connects and show you their MAC address, IP, and device name.  It works like a champ but have a charger cord handy.  It makes the phone warm and burns some battery.  Great for cranking up some Neflix on the iPad in the car for the little one though.


Good luck and let me know if this works for you.

10-3 UPDATE:

One note I need to add is that it seems Wifi Tether version 3.1 beta 6 has is that it can only successfully work the first time it is tethered before a reboot is necessary.  I typically get errors and have trouble tethering the second time around.  A quick reboot of the OS fixes it but still get annoying.  I trust it'll get figured out soon enough.

12-9 UPDATE:

I am running 2.3.6 on my Droid Charge and trying out 3.1 experimental 12.  No issues so far.

No comments: