Thursday, August 25, 2011

CONSPIRACY THEORY - Why Verizon is not rushing to update Android phones to Gingerbread and AT&T is



So you have a Droid Charge, like me, and you are wondering why you have not received that wonderful little notification that your phone is ready to download Gingerbread?  I have a theory:
Verizon isn't ready to have a hoard of phones with front facing cameras capable of Skype video or Google Chat.

Verizon is rolling out LTE locations as fast as they can, but the locations they are picking are not always clear to the end user.  Certain markets like Houston and Dallas, TX have LTE but Austin doesn't.  Is this related to why AT&T rolls out hoards of mini-cell towers during South By Southwest?  Too many techies who like to burn through bandwidth?

I realized Verizon is trying to do me a favor.  I do.  I just don't like the fact that I have to wait for them to plan for the oncoming data onslaught.  I guess it makes sense regarding the tiered data rollout that happened in July.  Get the heavy users to subsidize the light users.  Like insurance and welfare.

AT&T's network has been dragging with iPhones for 3+ years now and people still keep buying more iPhones on A&T's network.  AT&T seems to figure revenue is revenue and customer service is second.  Hence Facetime on the iPhone is wi-fi only.  AT&T knows when their LTE network rolls out in the near future, with Gingerbread phones and iPhone 5, they'll be in a nice position to lob some softballs at Verizon via their commercials and marketing.

Come on Verizon.  I'll take a laggy LTE network so I can have some video chat with my family while I am on the road. 


Loading image
Click anywhere to cancel
Image unavailable



Loading image
Click anywhere to cancel
Image unavailable

No comments: