Thursday, July 28, 2011

Optical Drive. What's an Optical Drive?

 
The new Mac Mini doesn't have a optical drive and neither do I.  Well, not on my MacBook Air at least.   It used to be a reasonably powerful computer for the everyday user, AND it had a DVD drive.  Not any more.  
 
Is this important?  I think so.  I always thought the Mini was a fantastic Mac for new converts.  For purposes of converting Windows users I could always point to the Mini and sing its praises.  People have big, beautiful TVs that they could hook to their Mini to run as a media center.  I have converted two people specifically on this premise...and the Mini meets their needs completely.  It actually meets and exceeds their expectations.  Not many PCs do that at first blush.  

In regards to the value of an optical drive, I say "meh."  My Air hasn't seen a DVD in quite some time and usually only does when a client gives me some DVD I need to use in a pinch.  I do regret Macs never got a Blu-Ray disk player.  I would have liked to have one in the house.  But then again I am not going to pay the price to buy the disks so maybe I am just blowing smoke up your skirt.  

Well.. I cannot argue their vision.  Good luck Apple and good buy Optical Drive.  USB kicked your butt anyways in size and performance anyways.

No comments: