Monday, May 16, 2011

Droid Charge is MINE!

I purchased a Droid Charge over the weekend to replace my ailing Droid Incredible. My DInc's power plug was getting finicky and I was talked into a 4G LTE phone for a small fee.

The Super AMOLED Plus screen is beautiful and blows away my DInc's screen. It is much happier in full sunlight although it is no iPhone. The resolution is outstanding for the screen size and it handles smudges as best as possible. I am pleased it has a front camera although I am bummed that there are so few apps that work cross platform. I am super ticked that Fring cannot get the front camera to work. I feel even with the Android fragmentation that occurs that this is ridiculous. I have read many Samsung Galaxy users have this same woe. The app is free and ad supported but at least offer a paid version and develop fo' real.

So far I am unimpressed with the processor. The interface is snappy however jumping back and forth between the home screen and apps can be a bit laggy. I miss HTC's Sense interface just a little as the widgets and calendar interfaces were top notch. I do love TouchWiz 3.0's ability to change my dock icons. Tutorial to come.

The unit feels good in my hand and is easy to navigate. I like the actual mechanical buttons over the touch screen buttons my DInc had. The plastic is a bit wonky but for being a larger phone than my DInc I am pleased with the weight to size ratio. Thickness is reasonable and the location of the outer buttons are reasonable intuitive. I do like having the power/wake button on the right. I am right handed and it works perfect for both hands to easily wake/sleep the phone when talking or simply waking it back up when it falls asleep because I didn't touch it soon enough.

The battery life has been fairly spectacular so far. The 4G LTE speeds will blow your mind. Also, the fact that it comes with a 32 GB SD card is pretty cool too. I think my DInc came with a 2 GB one. Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. I may note that my DInc still works and I added Cyanogen(Mod) with no problems. I figure I have 14 days to return this thing and if it doesn't make me completely happy I will claim insurance for my DInc and roll with Android OS 2.3.3 on the down low.

No comments: