Sunday, March 7, 2010

XMaxGames - my new home away from home

Whenever I'm up in Dallas, I usually stay at a friend's house in the Lakewood Heights district.  For years, I've passed by this one store on the corner of Skillman and Oram, and never stopped in.  I had ideas about what it was...the large oval pods in the front window could only be one thing...but I never checked it out. 

Finally, while I was in town for a week and didn't have anything to do one day, I decided to have a little adventure.  Hoping against hope about what the store was, I called and talked to one of their helpful staff...and sure enough, my dreams were answered.

XMaxGames is a LAN gaming center, also specializing in Virtual Reality games (like Mechwarrior) and Role Playing games.  But most important of all, they have about 20 computers, all networked together with blazing fast internet connections and a ton of games that you can play on.  Since I was going through WoW withdrawl, I sat down and blew a couple of hours tromping around Azeroth. 

The prices are pretty reasonable, with each hour costing $4 but the more time you buy, the cheaper it gets.  They also have snacks and drinks, even Ramen and a microwave to cook it in.  They also have a Rock Band room, but I haven't gone past playing anything but WoW. 

I knew this store was a place after my own heart when I walked in the first time, and saw the Serenity poster in the back, and the theme song to Doctor Who playing on stereo.  The music is a good collection of "geek" music, and as proof I heard selections from the Doctor Horrible soundtrack, as well as "Do You Want To Date My Avatar." 

I was home.

The only time I've been in there and it's been busy is usually at night, but there were plenty of computers open for use.  Most of the crowd was there for VR league night, which I think I might want to check out at some time.  There's also some tabletop RPGing going on, as well as some card games.  In short, it's a nerd cave, our own Fortress of Solitude, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Anytime I'm in Dallas, I make it a point to stop by and play a couple of hours of WoW.  They also have any other online game you can think of, as well as regular old fashioned internet access.  If you're looking for a MMO fix, this is probably your best bet.

No comments: