Friday, May 2, 2008

Tuckers? It really should be called Suckers

To be honest, I really thought this place was going to be great.

When TK's brother got married, the spread they had there was great. When he mentioned that we were going to the restaurant section of where his brother had his wedding, after a smart-assed comment, I thought, Holy crap, the food is expensive, but it's going to be really good. I still have foodie dreams about their portabella pastries.

I checked on the internet, and it looked like this place was going to be a typical, high-end Dallas foodie place, with really complex but wonderful dishes. I got there late, and sampled a bit of the wine ($23 a bottle, REALLY?) and convinced TK that we should get a goat-cheese with roasted pine nuts appetizer.

I should have known we were in trouble when it came out. It wasn't that good, and TK and I were the only people at the table that were eating it. I decided to forgo the quail and go for something easier, which was the Kobe Beef Hamburger (at $16 a pop, I thought, what the hell? It'll be good, it's Kobe beef, and it's cheaper than some hamburgers that I've gotten at Twisted Root).

When I finally got my burger, it was raw in the middle. And I don't mean raw like it was undercooked. I mean raw like steak tartar raw. I tried to power through it, but I'm a man who likes his meat cooked, usually overdone rather than under. I got halfway through, and had to give up.

A little note about myself. I don't EVER send food back. I don't care how nice the place is, I've had friends who worked in restaurants, I've seen Waiting, and I read Waiter Rant. I DON'T EVER SEND FOOD BACK. I might bitch and complain, but I'll never send the food back, only to have it come back to me, out of my sight for a few minutes. They could have stink-palmed it, for all I know.

If the food was a problem, that would be one thing. But the service was awful too. At one point, our waiter walked over to where we were, waiting for him to bring us the check, looked at us, saw that we were done with no plates and empty water glasses, and walked away. Without asking if we needed anything. In a place that's $35 a plate, that's unacceptable. Yes, I still tipped over 15%. Why? Because I'm retarded and I feel bad for waiters. Why? I have no idea. They make way more money than I do.

All in all, I won't be going back to Tuckers anytime soon. I'd rather go to Snuffers, which sounds the same, but has excellent food. Their marinated chicken strips are the best ever, and they have the best...THE BEST...cheese fries in the world. Try them out.

I think everyone else at the table had a good meal, but I spent the rest of the night with stomach aches, not able to sleep, and got to watch my entire meal in reverse the next morning. It's safe to say, Tuckers is not on my top ten lists. Now, I wish I had argued more for Sushi Zushi.

No comments: