Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jawbone Review

Image care of blog.treonauts.com
About 6 months ago I scrapped my Jabra BT200 bluetooth headset because of poor call quality, poor battery life, and frustration related to the connection process each time I cranked up bluetooth on my phone. I had the Jabra for almost 2 years and considered it extremely comfortable and easy to use. It was fairly unassuming in a world of people who seem to love to flaunt their bluetooth headset and their inability to TAKE IT OUT OF THEIR EAR AND PUT IT IN THEIR POCKET. sorry. I thought handsfree was for driving or multi-tasking...not walking in the mall or eating at a restaurant.

I did some web searching for quality reviews of headsets and stumbled upon the following: http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/03/treo_bluetooth_.html review of the jawbone. First I must state that the Jawbone is made by Aliph at http://www.jawbone.com/. The makers have gone to great lengths to create a headset that is easy to use, stylish, and one of the best noise reduction bluetooth units on te market. I will first send you to this video so that you fully understand what I am raving about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-VIdnrij7M. I have tested this unit with a vacuum cleaner on, right beside me and the headset is so successful in cancelling noise and improving the sound of your voice that my mother could hear me clearly and I could barely hear her over the vacuum cleaner.

I realize I am not doing a good job at reviewing this headset, however I think the attached links speak for themselves. Personally, with the included ear accessories, the unit is very comfortable. The wrap around piece is poorly made and breaks easy. Both my father and my ear pieces broke through light use. I will note that typically I can wear the headset with few issues. I cannot swing my head side to side or up/down without the ear hook thing but typically does well in driving and walking conditions. Aliph has come out with a new model which is smaller than the unit I purchased. The units use very low profile, hidden buttons to turn the unit on/pair/mute/volume/noise cancelling. The charger is USB or plugs into a wall jack and is lightweight and easy to take on trips with you. It charges quickly and holds a charge for adequate talk/standby time. See Andrew's Treonaut review for more details.

I strongly recommend you look into this product if you are in the market for a bluetooth headset. Don't forget you can get it almost half off on eBay. For weight, looks, and funtionality (and the fact that my dad can use it successfully), the headset is a great buy.

No comments: