Monday, December 5, 2011

Non-removable batteries are better?

I think I may be coming around on Apple's concept of having a battery that cannot be removed.  I never thought of this until now.  I balked when the new Droid Razr came out with a non-removable battery.

I have a Prey Project account and recommend signing up.  It is a "free-mium" site that offers tracking of your laptop, desktop, and phone if they are stolen or lost.  I have heard that in NYC, cabbies are paid for lost phones and are paid even more when they hand a phone over that has its battery removed.  Purpose for the incentive - information.  Smart phones have a treasure trove of data on them these days; all of which is probably not security hardened like computer hardware and software are getting.

A thief can still turn off a device holding down the power button on most phones but I think it is a lot easier for them to pull the battery.  If turning it off was so simple then why would a "fence" care that the battery is out or not? 





No comments: