Monday, January 12, 2009

Windows 7 Beta

Microsoft just released a beta for Windows 7 that is good through August of this year. You can find it here. I had trouble getting the site to work. It kept hanging. Various news sources have stated they are overwhelmed with the interest. I googled the topic and found the Wired Blog which gave additional details. I clicked on the included link and downloaded the 64 bit version.

Tried installing it in VMWare Fusion 2.x on my iMac w/Leopard and after a nearly successful install the system said it couldn't recognize my hardware. The install process was fairly quick on my 2.8 Ghz Extreme iMac. Also looks nice and didn't have a ton of dialog boxes that needed input.

Frustrating but could be an attempt by Microsoft to thwart Mac users? Maybe Fusion is having issues with the virtualization for this beta install. Who knows. I will try the 32 bit version and see what happens.

No comments: