Saturday, April 26, 2008

JUNO: Movie Review


Last week I saw Juno for the second time. The first encounter with the movie was not an enjoyable experience. I think I was not in the mood for a drama/dark comedy and it hit me in the face fairly hard. I really have to be prepared for a movie to truly enjoy it. Sometimes if a movie is made so well then no matter what I am expecting, I will appreciate it's artistic qualities. With that said, this is a entertaining movie. I won't get into all of the details, but will hit on the high points.

The music was effectively selected for this flick because all of the characters are not run of the mill Hollywood written types. Nor are they cast by terribly pretty people...except Jennifer Garner. She is an attractive woman. The music is off center, and float well behind the surface of the scene they are placed in. They don't drive the scenes but compliment the storyline. The Moldy Peaches have a few songs throughout this movie. I will be honest - I am not a fan of them. Sometimes deviation from mainstream media is just that - deviation. I am not a supporter that all expression is art.

The cast of characters are fantastic overall. From Jason Bateman to Michael Cera to Ellen Page to Allison Janney. They all perform well in their roles and give you a true sense you are living beside them and around them. Ellen Page's character is a tough sell given that she is so young and so mature. I have met so many kids that consider themselves mature, but never come across this well. I have a hard time believing any kid could react to being pregnant as she does. I realize movies require suspension of disbelief, but this one was a bit tougher to swallow than most.

Still, much funnier and impressive the second time around. I knew the characters more the second round and appreciated the relationships and interactions that occured throughout the film. Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman did a great job delivering a story and film that deserves the positive response they have received so far.

1 comment:

Hunter E said...

Nice to see that the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (the Oscars) and their members agreed with you, giving Diablo Cody (a fellow blogger) an Oscar this year.

By the way, check out her nudie pics, hot stuff.